In the LISTEN Facebook group, a post was made by a LISTEN core member, where they mistakenly copied & pasted a transphobic and transmisogynistic term from a third party. The reaction from the core member that occurred after these errors were pointed out was at times argumentative and defensive.
LISTEN does not agree with the use of this language or their reaction and we sincerely apologise. We want to ensure that it is recognised that the opinions of individuals are not representative of the core beliefs that LISTEN or LISTEN Records holds.
The LISTEN forum is making every attempt to make this an inclusive and safer space. We are amending the rules to include calling out behaviour, and what is expected from you if you are called out on something within the forum:
We ask that you:
- Respect all members and their posts, including the privacy and personal information of others
- Act positively and encourage others.
- Be helpful.
- Offer constructive criticism or voice a dissenting opinion, but don’t be mean or disrespectful
- When called out on something, acknowledge, take responsibility, apologise and thank the person for helping you to understand.
- Educate yourself further on the new information you’ve been given! It’s part of everyone’s responsibility to be aware of all the intersections that exist within our community.
We want to encourage you all to feel welcome to post in the forum. Being called out is usually an opportunity to learn, rather than a personal attack.